CONCORD, Ontario (June 3, 2010) – The XR 1200XTM model represents Harley-Davidson® Sportster® performance, honed to its finest edge. Introduced in 2010 for international markets only, the XR 1200XTM bike will be available through Harley-Davidson® Retailers in Canada as a 2011 model. Equipped with fully adjustable Showa® front and rear suspension components, the 2011 XR 1200XTM motorcycle can be dialled in to match rider weight, riding style, and road conditions. The XR 1200XTM model combines this premium suspension with enhanced front brakes and the responsive punch of a high-compression, a 1,200 cc Evolution® V-Twin engine, all in a dynamic, street-performance motorcycle.
With a tank and tail section designed to evoke the legendary Harley-Davidson® XR 750 bike – the king of the gritty American flat-track scene – the XR 1200XTM model puts its mechanical character on display. Wide flat-track bars and rear-set foot pegs position an assertive rider for active control. The XR 1200XTM bike has a blacked-out powertrain and exhaust, revised tank graphics, and black wheels with an orange rim pinstripe. The XR 1200XTM motorcycle will be offered in two colours: Black Denim and White Hot Denim.
- A Showa® big piston front fork (BPF) eliminates many of the internal components used in a cartridge-type fork, resulting in a lighter overall fork weight. The large diameter of the BPF internal piston allows a reduction in damping pressure for outstanding feedback and smooth action. Rebound and compression damping may be fine-tuned with adjuster screws located on top of the fork bolts. The spring pre-load is adjusted with a M5 hex screw on the axle holders.
- Showa rear shocks feature 36 mm pistons with piggy-back nitrogen-charged reservoirs. The compression damping may be adjusted with a knob on top of the reservoir. Rebound is adjusted with a thumb wheel on the lower clevis. The rear spring pre-load is also adjustable.
- The Nissin® dual front brakes feature 292 mm, full-floating rotors and four-piston calipers.
- The isolation-mounted Evolution® 1,200 cc V-Twin engine with a black, powder-coated finish features a downdraft Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI), high-performance camshafts, precision oil-cooled cylinder heads, and a large capacity oil cooler. The compression ratio is 10:1. The engine is rated at 74 ft-lb peak torque at 4,000 RPM (per SAE J1349).
- An upswept, high-volume, 2-1-2 straight-shot exhaust system with satin black finish offers extra cornering clearance.
- The chassis features a tubular mild steel frame designed for high performance. The rigid, cast-aluminum swingarm is engineered to enhance handling.
- The Dunlop® Qualifier D209 tires were designed specifically for the XR 1200XTM motorcycle.
- The three-spoke, lightweight, cast-aluminum wheels (18-inch front/17-inch rear) are finished in gloss black with an orange pinstripe on the rim.
- A wide, black, dirt-track handlebar for enhanced steering leverage and comfort.
- Rear-set foot pegs for additional cornering clearance.
- A compact instrument display with a white-faced analogue tachometer, a digital speedometer, a dual trip meter, and a clock.
- A 3.5-gallon fuel tank with aircraft-style aluminum alloy fuel filler.
- A 29.2-inch laden seat height with standard passenger pillion and foot pegs.
- Optional Harley-Davidson® Smart Security System.